Sunday, January 22, 2006

Simon Rodia's Watts Towers

Being stirred by a compelling desire
That would not be denied,
Simon Rodia listened to his heart,
From where came a whisper;

"The dream is dreamed.
Come, fly with me.
The dream is dreamed,
high in the sky with me.
The dream is dreamed,
yours to implement or impede.
The dream is dreamed.
Embrace the wind indeed."

Without sketch or blueprint,
Without the architect's expert okay,
Giving rise to inspiration,
Rodia began his acclaimed work, doing it his way.

Without the security of scaffolding,
Without tools fashioned for task,
With materials cast off by others,
Working thirty-plus years…toil, birthing bask.

Built of broken glass, bits and pieces of tile and pottery,
Ceramic, rocks, seashells, wire mesh, steel and concrete,
The Watts Towers are mosaic monuments symbolizing the possibility,
Humble, yet grand structures, signaling the improbable victory to greet.

Like a lotus blossoming, the history of the Watts Towers unfolds,
With many seeking a myriad of details to comprehend,
But others touched by Rodia's innate artistry become manifest,
Upon hearing a whisper, are themselves inspired, to embrace the wind.

©2003 Syni Patterson

1 comment:

Sheri Lawson said...

One of my most moving experiences was seeing Watt's Towers for the first time. My kids were all little, Jamin was probably about 6 or 7. We were there as a family along with a brother and sister-in-law and their kids. I stood there in awe and no matter how hard I tried I could not hold back the tears. I was embarrassed. How would I explain what was making me cry? I didn't know why. I felt Simon Rodia's soul whispering to me from beyond - filling me with the energy of his intent for sculpting this masterpiece. I am happy to know others have been so touched as well.